· 1 Chinese cabbage
· 3 garlic cloves, grated
· 2.5cm/1in piece ginger, grated
· 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
· 2 tbsp Chillichup, Hot Hot Chillichup or Shut up Chup
· 3 tbsp Good quality Cider vinegar
· 6 radishes, coarsely grated( Optional)
· 2 carrots coarsely grated
· 4 spring onions, finely shredded
Slice the cabbage into 2.5cm strips. Tip into a bowl, mix with 1 tbsp sea salt, then set aside for 1 hr. Meanwhile ,make the kimchi paste by mixing the garlic, ginger, Worcestershire sauce (if using), Chillichup of your choice and cider vinegar together in a large bowl. Place to one side until cabbage is ready to use.
Rinse the cabbage under cold running water, drain and dry thoroughly. Transfer to the bowl with the Kimchi style paste in, along with the radishes if using, carrot and spring onions. Serve straight away or pack into a large jar, seal and leave to ferment at room temperature overnight, then chill.
Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks - the flavour will improve the longer it's left.