· 750 ml bottle of dry red wine (doesn’t have to be the best quality)
3 Teaspoons of Cranberry Cracker
· 50ml of brandy
· 1 orange, sliced into rounds
· 4 whole cloves
· 1 cinnamon sticks
· 2 tablespoons sugar or your desired sweetener
Alternatively if your not a big wine fan you can change the wine in this recipe for a good quality local cider
1. place sliced orange, cloves, cinnamon in a muslin bag (If you don’t have a muslin cloth or bag you can just add this to the wine and strain them out later.
2. To a large cooking pot add the wine, 3 teaspoons of cranberry Cracker and the spice bag and stir briefly to combine.
3. Cook the mulled wine on medium-high heat until it just barely reaches a simmer. (Avoid letting it bubble — you don’t want to boil off the alcohol.) Reduce heat to low, cover, and let the wine simmer for at least15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
4. Remove your spice bag or strain your mulled wine through a fine sieve to remove the spices and add the brandy
Give the mulled wine a taste and stir in extra sweetener if needed.
5. Serve warm in heat proof mugs or cups topped with your favourite garnishes I like a little orange peel twist or cinnamon stick stirrer.